What is Social Genomics? with Dr. Steve Cole, PhD
In this latest episode of the MGC podcast, I talk to Dr. Steve Cole, a senior faculty member at UCLA who has created one of the most fascinating approaches to study mind body interactions at the molecular level. He has authored more than 200 scientific publications in high impact journals and is considered the father of a new scientific discipline called Social Genomics.
His extensive body of work provides a new revolutionary understanding of the bidirectional interactions between our genome, our body and the environment we live in. Dr. Cole is a Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry in the UCLA School of Medicine where he studies the molecular pathways by which social environments influence gene expression by viral, cancer, and immune cell genomes.
In this podcast, I talk to him about a wide range of topics which are profoundly influenced by Social Genomics, including:
- How our bodies are continuously influenced by the influence of our social interactions.
- How our genes are influenced by our state of mind.
- Which strategies we can use to take advantage of the plasticity of gene expression to improve our health.
- The two different forms of happiness.
- The future of healthcare.