Spinach and Arugula Soup
Spinach is probably the most underrated vegetable. It is so versatile, and it is very easy to make a spinach dish quickly. We just have to put some thought into the combinations that will best complement its natural flavors. This soup is very simple and good fast food at its best. Enjoy!
2 fl oz extra virgin olive oil
2 oz unsalted butter
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
8 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
34 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
4 oz arugula leaves
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 oz fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1. Heat half the olive oil, butter, onion and sugar in a medium-sized pot and sauté together until translucent.
2. Add the spinach, salt, white pepper, and ground coriander and mix together.
3. Add the stock, lower the heat to medium, and let the soup simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the arugula leaves and simmer for another 2 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a small frying pan, add the finely chopped garlic and sauté for a few seconds, then add the chopped cilantro leaves and mix and fry together for a few seconds.
6. Pour the garlic and cilantro mixture into the soup and turn off the heat.
7. Put half of the soup in a blender or food processor and liquidize. Add the liquidized soup to the other half and mix.
8. Serve the soup hot topped with fresh arugula leaves and croutons.
Marta Díaz Megías was born and raised in Madrid, Spain and is as an official Translator/Interpreter from the Catholic University of Paris. She has always had a personal passion for cooking and started her own catering company in Madrid, and taught cooking courses for several years as well. Marta now lives in Southern California and loves promoting Spanish cuisine.